CAREERS at SMARTT . . .
Professional Scale Model Maker
Scale Models, Arts, & Technologies, Inc. (SMARTT, Inc.), is seeking model makers with professional experience in architectural, engineering, and diorama and display models.
The positions offered are primarily to fabricate and assemble custom designed high-end scale models, displays, and exhibits.
Accepted candidates will work on various “hands-on” aspects of our production and manufacturing needs.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Primary Specific Requirements and Skills
Successful candidates REQUIRE the following skills and experience:
- Precision assembly of wood, plastic, or metal components with various fasteners and adhesives.
- Precision fabrication of component parts and sub-assemblies using mechanical and powered shop tools including table saw, band saw, drill press, router, miter saw, precision machine tools (miniature lathes and milling machines), as well as various non-powered hand tools.
- Precision assembly, painting, and detailing of delicate models and miniatures.
- Artistic painting and weathering skills to create character and enhance realism of scale models.
- Strong attention to detail and quality control in all aspects of tasks performed.
- Experience working with Laser cut, CNC milled, and 3-D printed parts and components.
HIGHLY DESIRABLE ADDITIONAL SKILLS:
Preference will be given to candidates with the following “Most Desirable” additional skills and experience:
- Experience in Model Railroading
- Experience in the Scale Model building, Slot Car, Robotics, or RC hobbies.
- Preparation of, processing, and post processing of Laser cut and 3-D printed parts and components.
- Experience in resin and silicon casting and mold making.
- Artistic free-form skills to create miniature landscaping and natural scenic elements
- Precision soldering, both for electronic and light metal assemblies.
- Basic electronics knowledge with experience in low voltage circuits.
- Ability to draw or express ideas visually.
- Knowledge of design software – AutoCAD 2019+, Inventor 2020+.
- Knowledge of graphics software, Corel, Photoshop.
- Ability to compose and edit documents in MS Word.
Physical: Good manual dexterity, and general physical agility will be required to perform some tasks -ie: occasionally fit in confined spaces, climb ladders, and lift various components, etc.
Travel: Occasional short-term travel requirements to install projects at client’s locations.